HR MAGAZINE · September 2008
Vol. 53, No. 9
Table of Contents
COVER PACKAGE: DIVERSITY
Say ¡Hola! to the Majority Minority. By 2050, nearly one-third of the U.S. population—and its workforce—will be Hispanic.
Susan J. Wells
Sexual Equity in the Workplace. Building gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender diversity into your workforce can be a challenging—yet reachable—goal.
Delivering Executive Potential. Pitney Bowes’ Johnna Torsone reveals a knack for developing leaders.
Fraud Factories. Employers should be on guard to spot employees who have fraudulent academic degrees from bogus institutions.
‘People People’ Work at Home, Too. Some HR professionals can work at home without losing contact with the workers they serve. Here’s how.
Evaluate Workforces in Emerging Economies. In selecting future locations, measure the quality of the workforce.
Damien DeLuca and Han Hu
HR AGENDA: TRAINING
15 Ways To Train on the Job. Maximize your training budget with inexpensive, practical—and homegrown—approaches.
HR AGENDA: COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Elder Care at Work. Employees’ elder care responsibilities affect the workplace—and employers are stepping up to help.
COLUMNS & DEPARTMENTS
- HR Solutions: Plan Descriptions, Recruiting, Background Checks. Rue Dooley, Yvette Lee and Regan Halvorsen
- Management Tools: Stories in the Workplace. Storytelling is emerging as a core competence for all organizational leaders. Stephen Denning
- Legal Trends: Not Funny. Harassment policies often make the mistake of seeming to permit welcome offensive conduct. Elaine Herskowitz
- Future Focus: Sustainable Strategy. Will HR professionals take a lead role in corporate sustainability?
- Executive Briefing. Subchapter S employee stock ownership plans; measuring quality in dispute resolution; relief from the cost of health benefits for small businesses; more.
- From Readers. Going green; more.
- HR Technology. Corporate leadership development has been slow to adopt new approaches to learning, but some companies are enlisting technology to enter new frontiers.
- Court Report. Rehire policy challenge advances; football coach loses fraud claim; more.
- What's New. Benefits evaluation tool; long-term-care insurance product; severe weather alerts; workforce-relationship management tool; more.
- Books in Brief. Books in Brief is online. See www.shrm.org/hrmagazine for summaries of Leading with Kindness, The Trophy Kids Grow Up, The EQ