Voting ends at noon EST Oct. 10, 2007, on the slate of candidates nominated to the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) Board of Directors for 2008.
The election will fill the spots of chair-designate and six at-large director seats to round out the 14-member SHRM Board of Directors.
Candidates, all nominated for a one-year term, are:
• Robb E. Van Cleave, SPHR, IPMA-CP, candidate for chair-designate. He is the executive director of HR and strategic planning for Columbia Gorge Community College.
• Melvin L. Asbury, SPHR, candidate for director. He is president of Asbury Consulting LLC and senior vice president of the HR Group Inc.
• Mary Cheddie, SPHR, candidate for director. She is senior vice president of HR and member of the Executive Committee for Interval International.
• Calvin W. Finch, CPA, candidate for director. He is vice president, CFO and treasurer of CPP Inc.
• Bette J. Francis, SPHR, candidate for director. She is vice president of HR with Wilmington Trust, Wealth Advisory Services.
• Gary P. Latham, Ph.D., candidate for director. He is the Secretary of State Professor of Organizational Effectiveness at the University of Toronto, Rotman School of Management.
• Virda M. Rhem, SPHR, candidate for director. She is director of HR for Texas Property and Casualty Insurance Guaranty Association in Austin, Texas.
The slate is nominated by the Governance Committee of the SHRM Board of Directors and approved by the Board. Van Cleave, Asbury, Cheddie, Finch and Francis are current board members with Latham and Rhem serving as the Board’s newest nominees for election.
Continuing on the Board for 2008 is Janet N. Parker, SPHR, who will finish her two-year term as chair, joined by Rita Bennett, Jose A. Berrios, and Audrey Boone Tillman, J.D., all elected as directors in 2006 to serve a two-year term running through 2008.
Also, Beverly K. Carmichael, J.D., SPHR, and Carolyn Gould, SPHR, GPHR, CCP, were both elected in 2006 to serve as directors for three-year terms running through 2009.
Sue R. Meisinger, SPHR, SHRM president and CEO, serves as an ex officio non-voting board member.
SHRM’s Board voted at its Aug. 24, 2007, meeting to remove the positions of secretary and treasurer from the board of directors, effective Jan. 1, 2008. Those positions have been designated as non-elected officer positions to be filled by SHRM staff members who will not be directors.
For more information about the SHRM Board, including biographies of board members, please visit its web page .
Ballots were mailed to eligible voting members and voting commenced Sept. 10, 2007.
Voting is open to every professional, general, special expertise, retired life, professional life and past chair life member of SHRM in good standing, according to SHRM bylaws.
Kathy Gurchiek is associate editor for HR News. She can be reached at email@example.com
For the latest HR-related business and government news, go daily to www.shrm.org/hrnews