Vol. 49, No 1
For a pay-for-performance program to be successful in promoting excellent customer service, experts say HR should consider the following issues:
- Clarity. Employees must have a clear understanding of how customer satisfaction is measured.
- Consistency. Measurement methodologies must remain constant from year to year to ensure that employees trust the scores.
- Coverage. Performance-based pay tied to customer feedback should apply to all levels of the organization.
- Communication. Results of the customer feedback survey process should be communicated to staff on a regular basis.
- Continuous improvement. A long-term commitment is required, because it takes time before operational changes will result in improved customer satisfaction scores.