Motives, Values, Preferences Inventory (MVPI)
Motives, Values, Preferences Inventory (MVPI) is an assessment of an individual’s values and motives. It is comprised of 200 items keyed agree-disagree-uncertain and takes less than 20 minutes to complete. The MVPI assesses a person's core values and identifies what a person wants to do rather than what a person may do in certain situations.
The MPVI is based upon a comprehensive, business-based taxonomy of values. It is useful for evaluating the fit between a person's values and an organization's culture. It is also designed to predict occupational success and job satisfaction.
What the Motives, Values, Preferences Inventory Measures
The MVPI assesses an individual's values on the following scales:
- Recognition – Value being known, recognized, appreciated, and famous
- Competition – Value being in control, succeeding, and outperforming the competition
- Fun – Value fun, variety, excitement, and pleasure
- Service – Value helping, serving, and encouraging others
- Team – Value frequent and varied social contact
- Tradition – Value family, devotion to duty, hard work, and respect for authority
- Risk Tolerance – Value predictability, structure, and order
- Finance – Value money, reducing expenses, realizing profits, and business opportunities
- Quality – Value the look, feel, and design of work products and a dedication to quality
- Problem Solving – Value science, technology, and making data-based decisions
Each scale is composed of five themes: (a) Lifestyles, which concern the manner in which a person would like to live; (b) Beliefs, which involve “shoulds,” ideals, and ultimate life goals; (c) Occupational Preferences, which include the work an individual would like to do, what constitutes a good job, and preferred work materials; (d) Aversions, which reflect attitudes and behaviors that are either disliked or distressing; and (e) Preferred Associates, which include the kind of persons desired as coworkers and friends.
Three reports can be generated from the MVPI:
- Data Report
This report provides a summary of the individual’s results on each scale compared to the normative sample. It does not contain any interpretive data.
- Career Compass
This report contains an individualized analysis of the test-takers strengths and weaknesses as well as tips for improvement within the workplace.
- Leadership Forecast Values Report
This report is designed for both selection and development purposes. The results for each scale are presented graphically along with an individualized narrative report that provides an analysis of the impact of how an individual’s scores are likely to be manifest in their work and role as a leader and manager.
Additionally, if the MVPI is completed as part of battery including the Hogan Development Survey (HDS)and the Hogan Personality Inventory (HPI), the two following integrative reports are also available:
- Personality Executive Summary (PES)
- Coaching Report
This Report integrates findings from the MVPI, HPI, and HDS and yields a comprehensive development report which can be used in either a coaching or self-development context and provides the basis for a Self-Development Plan.
Hogan Development Survey is a copyright and mark owned by Hogan Assessment Systems.
Copyright © 2007
Society for Human Resource Management
1800 Duke Street
Alexandria, Virginia 22314
1.800.283.SHRM (U.S. only)