One new member and five re-elected board members will join the Society for Human Resource Management’s (SHRM) Board of Directors for 2013.
SHRM members elected the following as at-large directors:
- Jorge Consuegra, partner, The Fearless Group communications agency; two-year term.
- My-Chau Nguyen, CPA, senior vice president of customer relationship marketing, Sirius XM Radio; two-year term.
- Coretha M. Rushing, GPHR, senior vice president and CHRO, Equifax Inc.; three-year term.
- Brian D. Silva, SPHR, GPHR, senior vice president of HR and administration, Fresenius Medical Care NA; three-year term.
- Jose Tomas, SPHR, president of Latin America and Caribbean and global chief people officer, Burger King Corp.; three-year term.
- David Windley, former CHRO, Yahoo!; one-year term. He is new to the board.
These six at-large members made up a slate that the SHRM Board Governance Committee had recommended to voting members of SHRM.
“We welcome this group of six accomplished HR professionals and business leaders to the SHRM board,” stated Henry G. “Hank” Jackson, president and CEO of SHRM. “Their experiences reflect the diverse business backgrounds needed to guide an association of SHRM’s size and scope in 2013 and beyond,” he said in a news release.
Bette J. Francis, SPHR, will chair the 2013 SHRM Board of Directors, a 13-member group that sets broad policies and strategic direction and provides fiduciary oversight for SHRM’s 260,000 members.
She is vice president, director of HR, for Wilmington Trust, Wealth Advisory Services in Wilmington, Del. She has been a SHRM member since 1990 and a board member since 2007.
She will replace current chair, Jose A. Berrios, in January.
Berrios, who served a two-year term as board chair, will serve as immediate past chair in 2013. He is president of BTG: The Berrios Talent Group LLC.
The following board members, whose seats were not up for re-election, make up the remainder of the board:
- James A. Kaitz, president and CEO, Association for Financial Professionals.
- Jeffrey M. Cava, executive vice president and chief human resources officer, Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide Inc.
- Virda M. Rhem, SPHR, director of HR, Texas Property and Casualty Insurance Guaranty Association.
- Gary P. Latham, Ph.D., secretary of state professor of organizational behavior, Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto.
- Jackson, CPA, SHRM president and CEO.
Third-party election oversight company Election Services Corp. confirmed the election results, and two SHRM member Inspectors of Voting certified the results, according to Berrios.