CEO Jackson looks back at 2013 — and ahead to 2014 — in state of society address to members
ALEXANDRIA, Va. — The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) will open an office in California in 2014 as part of a five-year plan to better serve HR professionals in the state, President and CEO Henry G. (Hank) Jackson has announced.
At SHRM’s annual business meeting on Saturday, Nov. 23, Jackson told the association’s volunteer leaders that two staff members — in member engagement and state advocacy — will be located in the California office.
Opening in the first quarter of 2014, SHRM’s California office will be located near the state capitol in Sacramento.
Jackson spoke to more than 875 SHRM members on the final day of the association’s Leadership Conference in suburban Washington, D.C.
Noting that 2013 marks the 65th anniversary of the founding of the association, Jackson said, “This society has become something that a small group of personnel managers in the late 1940s could only dream of.”
Today, Jackson said, SHRM has 275, 000 members who represent more than 140,000 organizations of all sizes and industries in the United States and more than 140 countries.
He shared highlights from the past year, including:
• The HR Knowledge Center continues to be a valuable member benefit. So far this year, knowledge advisors have responded to almost 76,000 questions from its HR members.
• The 2013 Annual Conference in Chicago set an all-time attendance record with more than 15,000 attendees.
• Student chapters now boast a record-breaking 18,000 members.
• SHRM educational programs are in place at more than 250 colleges and universities.
• A record number of executives attended the SHRM Foundation’s Thought Leaders Retreat.
• More than 83 percent of members say that they are “extremely satisfied” with SHRM membership and its benefits.
“We've come a long way,” Jackson said of SHRM’s beginning in 1948 in Cleveland, Ohio. “There are so many reasons to be excited about this profession and the next 65 years of this society.”
MEDIA: For more information, contact Kate Kennedy of SHRM Media Relations at 703-535-6260 and Kate.firstname.lastname@example.org or Vanessa Gray at 703-535-6072 and Vanessa.email@example.com.
About the Society for Human Resource Management
The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) is the world’s largest association devoted to human resource management. Representing members in more than 140 countries, the Society serves the needs of HR professionals and advances the interests of the HR profession. Founded in 1948, SHRM has more than 575 affiliated chapters within the United States and subsidiary offices in China, India and the United Arab Emirates. Visit SHRM Online at www.shrm.org and follow us on Twitter @SHRMPress.