Can Our Student Chapter Use SHRM's Tax ID Number?

Unfortunately, chapters may not use SHRM’s federal tax identification number.  There is a fair amount of liability involved should we allow our affiliates to use our tax ID number because SHRM would then need to include all uses of the tax ID number in our own tax filing. 

Therefore, each chapter must apply for its own employer identification number (EIN), also referred to as a federal tax ID number. This nine-digit number is used for filing income and payroll tax returns. Most banks and financial institutions require this number to set up accounts for your chapter.

File Form SS-4, Application for Employer Identification Number, to apply for a number if you have not obtained one. Form SS-4 can be obtained from your local IRS office, library or CPA. Many IRS forms are available on the IRS web site at

The IRS will provide written confirmation of the EIN. Your chapter should file the letter with your chapter’s permanent records.

Note that having a tax identification number does not mean the chapter is exempt from paying income taxes. You must apply for recognition of tax exemption separately from applying for a tax identification number.

For further information, please refer to SHRM's Guide to Chapter Financial Management.

Job Finder

Find an HR Job Near You
Post a Job


Find the Right Vendor for Your HR Needs

SHRM’s HR Vendor Directory contains over 10,000 companies

Search & Connect