Starting an English Program: Where to Find Help

By Rita Zeidner

HR Magazine, January 2009Many local government agencies provide subsidized English language training under the Workforce Investment Act of 1998 (WIA). Find classes and technical assistance through the following three entities. Be sure to ask about opportunities for developing workforce-specific programs.

Public school adult education. Funding for these programs often comes from federal and state education agencies. Since there is no central clearinghouse, search online using your town or county name, “local education agency” and “English language” as search terms.

One-stop career centers. Many localities provide English language training through the network of “One-stop career centers” established under the WIA. Locate them online at

Community colleges. Search for a program online using the name of your local community college and “English language.”

 The author is senior writer for HR Magazine.


Job Finder

Find an HR Job Near You
Post a Job

Earn a SHRM Talent Acquisition Specialty Credential.

Do you have what it takes to win the war for talent? Find out.



Find the Right Vendor for Your HR Needs

SHRM’s HR Vendor Directory contains over 10,000 companies

Search & Connect