Recertification Q&A: Volunteering, Writing and Research

Answers to frequently asked questions about maintaining your credential

By the SHRM Certification Team January 10, 2019

Have questions about recertifying your SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP? In every issue, the SHRM Certification team will answer some of the frequently asked questions they receive from credential-holders.


Q: Can I obtain recertification credits for research, writing and publishing? What are the requirements?

A: Yes, research, writing and publishing activities can qualify for professional development credits (PDCs). They must occur outside of your own organization. The content must: 

  • Be related to the SHRM Body of Competency and Knowledge.
  • Consist of at least 750 words.
  • Not be solely opinion-based.
  • Contain factual information and data analysis.
  • Include at least one reference to an external resource.


Q: How do I get PDCs for volunteering? 

A: SHRM recognizes the value of activities that contribute to the continued development of the HR profession and the community. To be eligible for recertification credit, a volunteering activity must be performed:

  • In an HR services role.
  • Without compensation.
  • For an HR association, HR membership organization or other nonprofit.

If you'd like to have a specific volunteering activity reviewed for eligibility, please send an e-mail to for assistance. 

What perplexes you most about recertification? Send your questions to

Want to learn more about how to maintain your SHRM certification? To attend one of our free online events and gain access to SHRM recertification counselors, visit


Job Finder

Find an HR Job Near You
Search Jobs
Post a Job


Culture Fit in the Talent Acquisition Space. June 25, 4 p.m. ET / 1 p.m. PT

Culture Fit in the Talent Acquisition Space. June 25, 4 p.m. ET / 1 p.m. PT

Register Today


Find the Right Vendor for Your HR Needs

SHRM’s HR Vendor Directory contains over 10,000 companies

Search & Connect