Get access to the exclusive HR Resources you need to succeed in 2018.
Sign up for free email newsletters and get more SHRM content delivered to your inbox.
Is your employee handbook keeping up with the changing world of work? With SHRM's Employee Handbook Builder get peace of mind that your handbook is up-to-date.
Build competencies, establish credibility and advance your career—while earning PDCs—at SHRM Seminars in 14 cities across the U.S. this fall.
Gain the skills you need to rise to the next level in your career. Jon us at SHRM's Leadership Development Forum, October 2-3 in Boston.
Most companies benchmark to peers one-half to two times their size.
Members may download one copy of our sample forms and templates for your personal use within your organization. Please note that all such forms and policies should be reviewed by your legal counsel for compliance with applicable law, and should be modified to suit your organization’s culture, industry, and practices. Neither members nor non-members may reproduce such samples in any other way (e.g., to republish in a book or use for a commercial purpose) without SHRM’s permission. To request permission for specific items, click on the “reuse permissions” button on the page where you find the item.
In determining competitive executive pay, compensation committees at the largest U.S. public corporations use peer groups with an average group size of 24, according to an analysis of peers disclosed by Fortune 500 firms.
As attention to executive pay remains high, the government and the news media have magnified their focus on granular details of the executive compensation equation, according to the report by Equilar, a compensation benchmarking and research provider. All aspects of the pay package are under greater scrutiny, including the process behind setting pay.
One important component of this process is peer group determination. Companies choose peer firms against which to measure and benchmark their compensation, ensuring that their pay remains at a competitive level for executive talent. The companies selected to make up the peer group have a significant impact on the ultimate level and form of pay for executives.
The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) requires public corporations to list all peer companies used as part of the pay determination process. In addition, the SEC has requested additional details regarding the process employed in selecting a peer group.
Equilar's Fortune 500 Peer Group Reportfinds that:
• Among the Fortune 500, 27.2 percent of peer groups have between 16 and 20 companies listed.• The average peer group size is 24, while the median size of peer groups is 19 companies.• Most companies benchmark to peers one-half to two times their size.• 24 percent of companies named as peers show up as peers of peers (second-degree peers).• Most companies are used in a peer group at least 10 times.
• Among the Fortune 500, 27.2 percent of peer groups have between 16 and 20 companies listed.
• The average peer group size is 24, while the median size of peer groups is 19 companies.
• Most companies benchmark to peers one-half to two times their size.
• 24 percent of companies named as peers show up as peers of peers (second-degree peers).
• Most companies are used in a peer group at least 10 times.
The industries with the largest average number of stated peers in a group were:
• Industrials, with 35.• Utilities, with 28.• Services along with technology, each having 26.
• Industrials, with 35.
• Utilities, with 28.
• Services along with technology, each having 26.
Stephen Milleris an online editor/manager for SHRM.
You have successfully saved this page as a bookmark.
Please confirm that you want to proceed with deleting bookmark.
You have successfully removed bookmark.
Please log in as a SHRM member before saving bookmarks.
Please sign in as a SHRM member before saving bookmarks.
Please purchase a SHRM membership before saving bookmarks.
An error has occurred
Recommended for you
SHRM Member Discounts Program
SHRM’s HR Vendor Directory contains over 10,000 companies