ALEXANDRIA, Va., May 15, 2020 — SHRM (Society for Human Resource Management) named six new young professionals to the highly selective Young Professional Advisory Council (YPAC) to provide guidance for the next generation of HR leadership.
The council advocates for future human resources professionals, offering resources such as networking activities, social media support, membership guidance, and educational opportunities to help cultivate a strong community for HR's upcoming leaders.
"As young HR professionals forge and develop their career paths, SHRM's YPAC is right beside them—serving as a key resource and voice in the world of work," said Christopher Lopez, Manager of Emerging Professional Engagement at SHRM. "With this group leading the charge, our young professional members and the future of HR could not be in better hands."
The below joined the Young Professional Advisory Council May 4, 2020:
- Marquis H. Barnett, Human Resources Manager, City of High Point, North Carolina
- Elliott Battles, Founder, The Creating Equal Opportunity Group
- Kinyata Gray, Employee Relations Manager, St. Bernards Medical Center
- Claire Petrie, Sr. Manager of Talent Acquisition, Unifrax
- Rebecca Rowe, Human Resources Manager, People's Food Corp
- Kirk Wyman, Human Resources Manager, Cambrex
Marquis H. Barnett is the HR Manager for the City of High Point, North Carolina. He is a generalist-trained Senior Certified Human Resources professional with more than 10 years of progressive HR experience in both the public and private sectors. In 2020, he was named one of Business Insider's Top 20 Most Inspiring HR Leaders Who Are Changing How America Treats its Workers.
Elliott Battles is the founder of The Creating Equal Opportunity Group, which provides career coaching and preparedness for under-privileged communities. He has ten years of diverse experience in human resources, spanning multiple industries including retail, manufacturing, health care, and supply chain.
Kinyata Gray is the Employee Relations Manager at St. Bernards Medical Center in Jonesboro, Arkansas. In her role, Kinyata oversees all employee relations matters in the St. Bernards Healthcare enterprise of over 3,000 employees. She has been instrumental in leading several inaugural HR initiatives, including spearheading St. Bernards first affinity group to promote diversity and inclusion efforts.
Claire Petrie is the Senior Talent Acquisition Manager at Unifrax, based in Buffalo, NY. She has over seven years of successively diverse human resources management and recruiting experience with privately-owned and publicly traded global leaders. She was honored as a Buffalo Niagara Spotlight Professional in 2019.
Rebecca Rowe is the Human Resources Manager at People's Food Coop and the Volunteer Director for the Minnesota State SHRM Conference. She is experienced in professional development programs, including resume building, interview etiquette, total compensation, and negotiating pay as a young professional.
Kirk Wyman is the Human Resources Manager for Cambrex where he works with local staff and regularly participates in global company HR initiatives—utilizing data to help make informed decisions. Kirk has previously been involved with SHRM at collegiate, local, and state levels. He partners with his previous educational institutions to serve as a mentor for students seeking careers in Human Resources.
The newest additions to the YPAC will join the below members.
2020 Young Professionals Advisory Council Members:
- Amanda Brunson, Global HR Business Partner, Radixx, a Sabre Company
- Brad Dalton, People Partner, Google
- Kayla Despres, Senior HR Business Partner, Bilfinger Westcon, Inc.
- Crystal Granger, HR Benefit and Wellness Specialist, Harsch Investment Properties
- Schyler Houck, Director of Human Resources, Saratoga Casino Hotel
- Lina Le, Enterprise Director of HR, Y. Hata & Co., Limited
- Andrew Marcotte, Senior HR Business Partner, Blain's Farm and Fleet
- Alexander C. Pullen, SHRM-SCP, HR Manager, The George Washington University
- Jazzmine Woodard, Diversity, Inclusion & Talent Acquisition Strategy Advisor, Enbridge Inc.
SHRM thanks YPAC members for elevating the role of HR and working to build a strong foundation for the next group of leaders. For more information, please visit the SHRM YPAC website.
Media: Contact Julie Hirschhorn at Julie.Hirschhorn@shrm.org and 703-842-5152 or Christopher Lopez at Christopher.Lopez@shrm.org and 703-535-6449.
SHRM, the Society for Human Resource Management, creates better workplaces where employers and employees thrive together. As the voice of all things work, workers and the workplace, SHRM is the foremost expert, convener and thought leader on issues impacting today's evolving workplaces. With 300,000+ HR and business executive members in 165 countries, SHRM impacts the lives of more than 115 million workers and families globally. Learn more at SHRM.org and on Twitter @SHRM.