Among the online resources that can be tapped without charge for employee training efforts are the following:
- Business Training Works Inc.: Portable Document Format files of training materials on topics such as cell phone etiquette, handling customer service telephone calls and training the trainer.
- Free-Ed.net: Tutorials on computer software programs as well as health care, accounting, strategic planning and academic subjects.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology Open Courseware: Online courses on everything from engineering to management, including lecture notes and exams.
- Microsoft: Online tutorials on Microsoft software, including Outlook, Access, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Moodle: A course management system for producing Internet-based courses.
- Open University: Courses from the United Kingdom that cover a wide variety of topics, including “Choosing an HR Consultant” and “Managing Local Practices in Global Contexts.”
- Stanford on iTunesU: Podcasts of business-related lectures.
- The U.S. Small Business Administration: Videos on marketing, e-commerce and international trade.