SHRM, the Society for Human Resource Management, creates better workplaces where employers and employees thrive together.
As the voice of all things work, workers and the workplace, SHRM is the foremost expert, convener and thought leader on issues impacting today's evolving workplaces. With 300,000+ HR and business executive members in 165 countries, SHRM impacts the lives of more than 115 million workers and families globally.
Directors work with the Chair of the Board, the President/CEO and other members of the Board to provide leadership for SHRM. Directors are expected to understand, support and fulfill the responsibilities set forth below and in the description of the Role of the Board of Directors and the expectations in the organization's Governance Principles.
- Actively participate in regularly scheduled Board and Board Committee meetings. Read materials distributed prior to the meetings and share experience and expertise during Board discussions. Support decisions that are arrived at by the Board. Ensure that confidential information shared at the meetings is held in confidence.
- Serve on at least one Board Committee. Attend scheduled Committee meetings and participate actively, providing advice and feedback on an on-going basis.
- Listen to members served by SHRM and provide candid and constructive feedback, advice and comments on the services and products to SHRM's leadership team. Provide candid and constructive feedback, advice and comments on other aspects of SHRM consistent with the Role of the Board.
- SHRM relies on its Directors to be its most active and vocal supporters, telling the SHRM story in their communities and organizations while promoting the human resource profession. This role of support and advocacy is distinct from the role of the President/CEO as SHRM's official spokesperson. No Director shall speak officially on behalf of SHRM, unless he/she is so authorized.
- Have an active interest in the human resource profession, a willingness to assist in setting and achieving the organization's goals, and the ability to devote the time necessary to attend and participate in Board and Committee meetings.
- Have a history of professional achievement and success within an organization or within SHRM, which would enable the Director to provide context and perspective to SHRM's Board. If not a member of SHRM prior to election to the Board, all Directors are expected to become members upon joining the Board. Be willing to apply one's experience to the Board's decision-making process.
- Have a professional reputation that enhances SHRM's reputation and strengthens the role of the Board in supporting the vision, purpose and values of the organization.
- Have sufficient knowledge of management of a complex organization in a rapidly changing environment to provide substantive advice.
- Have a clear understanding of governance (ideally including experience serving on another board) and the importance of a shared understanding with management about accountabilities and decision-making processes.
- Works with the Board Chair, the President and CEO, and other members of the Board to provide leadership for SHRM.
- Individuals who are engaged in the profession of human resource management must hold an HR certification recognized by SHRM at the time of election or by November first of their first year on the Board.
2023 Open Director Positions
1. HR Professional
The candidate will be an HR leader with SHRM volunteer experience.The candidate must have in-depth experience in human resources and strategic planning and development. Ideally the successful candidate will have not-for-profit experience either as an executive employee of the organization or as a Board Member engaged in successful human resources development and strategies.
2. Marketing Executive
The candidate will have substantial depth in marketing, including from branding, acquisition, customer experience, sales enablement and product marketing perspective. Marketing experience in subscriber/membership models are important requirements. He/she will have a proven success record in marketing as well as an affinity for the HR profession.
CONTACT: John Downer
JD & Associates/Just Say Search
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF RESUMES/NOMINATIONS IS APRIL 8, 2022