Learn how SHRM Certification can accelerate your career growth by earning a SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP.
When the economy is unstable, employers are faced with difficult decisions around staffing, pay and benefits. Find the latest news and members-only resources that can help employers navigate in an uncertain economy.
Members can get help with HR questions via phone, chat or email.
Build specialized knowledge and expand your influence by earning a SHRM Specialty Credential.
Virtual & Las Vegas | June 11-14, 2023. Join us at SHRM23 as we drive change in the world of work with in-depth insights into all things HR.
It's time to prove you're prepared for the pivotal role an HR leader plays in transforming the workplace.
The SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP certifications measure your ability to apply HR principles to real-life situations. No other HR certification compares.
Apply Now Recertify Now Recertify
Mapped for Lifelong Learning
Backed by SHRM
Earning your SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP credential makes you a recognized expert and leader in the HR field.
Enhance your HR Expertise
HR professionals who earn the SHRM Certification report significantly higher levels of credibility as HR professionals.
Increase Your Earning Potential
Those who earn the SHRM Certification report earning salaries 14% to 15% higher than peers who have not earned the SHRM Certification.1
Advance Your HR Career
The majority of HR hiring managers list SHRM's certification as the preferred qualification and those who earn the SHRM certification report it was a key factor in their career advancement.
Demonstrate Your Commitment
SHRM Certified HR professionals reported significantly higher levels of career success, respect from colleagues and pride and commitment to the HR profession.2
1,2 SHRM Research
”Earning my SHRM-CP landed me a job with a Fortune 500 company less than a month after earning my certification.”
Morgan Woods, SHRM-CP
Which certification is best for HR?
SHRM certification is the only HR certification offered by the world's largest HR membership organization. It is the only competency-based certification available and focuses on knowledge and behaviors needed to be proficient as an HR profession. As the industry leader in HR professional development, SHRM has supported more than 100,000 employers representing 140 million employees worldwide.
Is a certification in HR worth it?
Earning a SHRM certification makes you a recognized expert and leader in HR. Benefits include:
What is the first HR certification I should get?
The SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) is for individuals performing HR-related duties or pursuing a career in Human Resources. Basic working knowledge in HR is recommended. The majority of applicants, 77%, take the SHRM-CP first. The other 23% who have held strategic-level roles for a minimum of three years generally take the SHRM-SCP.
Is it hard to get SHRM certification?
SHRM certification exams are definitely not something that can be ‘crammed for’ at the last minute. Test-takers definitely need to prepare. A proven method to prepare is to study the SHRM BASK and the SHRM Learning System simultaneously. Then prepare for things like managing time and test anxiety of test day and gain an understanding of how the exams are built and scored using the official SHRM study guide and the accompanying workbooks, all of which are available through SHRM store. Note the study guides do not replace studying content using the SHRM BASK and the SHRM Learning System; they are add-ons.
How long does it take to get SHRM certified?
Generally, an applicants decides to apply and study about 3-4 months before taking the exam. The exam itself lasts 3 hours and 40 minutes, with about 10 minutes of preliminary information and 10 minutes of post-exam activity, for a total of 4 hours for an exam appointment. Ninety percent of candidates complete the exams in less than the allotted time working at their natural pace and without needed to rush toward the end.
More Frequently Asked Questions