Get access to the exclusive HR Resources you need to succeed in 2018!
SHRM board member David Windley discusses how unconscious bias can derail workplace diversity efforts.
Is your employee handbook keeping up with the changing world of work? With SHRM's Employee Handbook Builder get peace of mind that your handbook is up-to-date.
Build competencies, establish credibility and advance your career—while earning PDCs—at SHRM Seminars in 12 cities across the U.S. this spring.
#SHRM18 will expand your perspective – on your organization, on your career, and on the way you approach HR. Join us in Chicago June 17-20, 2018
Welcome to the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM). SHRM is the leading membership association for the human resource profession.
SHRM is an organization that is based in the United States. We comply with U.S. laws governing the privacy of personal information, which may not provide the same level of data protection as provided under the laws of other countries.
PART I – SHRM WEBSITES PRIVACY STATEMENT
Throughout SHRM Websites, there are forms for visitors to request information, products, and services. These forms may ask for contact information (such as your home and/or work phone number, fax number, street address and/or e-mail address, employer name and job title), unique identifiers (usually your SHRM membership number, if one is available, or other log-in credential), financial information (such as your credit card number), or demographic information (for example, your birth year, location, certification designation, etc.). Contact information from these forms is used to provide the products, promotional materials, or memberships that you request. Forms on our site that request financial information do so in order to bill you for products or services ordered. Unique identifiers (specifically, your SHRM member number) are collected from website visitors to verify the user's identity for access to restricted content or features on the site.
Questions or Complaints regarding this Privacy Statement should be directed to:
The Society for Human Resource Management 1800 Duke Street
Alexandria, Virginia, 22314
703-548-3440 or email@example.com
1. What information of yours do SHRM Websites collect? Our goal is to become your destination for HR-related information by providing information, services, and product offerings that are most relevant to you in the most convenient way. To achieve this goal, SHRM Websites collect information about site visitors.
Information collected online is usually defined as being either anonymous or personally identifiable.
Anonymous information refers to data that cannot be tied back to a specific individual. SHRM collects some information each time a visitor comes to a SHRM website, so we can improve the overall quality of the visitor's online experience. For example, SHRM collects the visitor's IP address, browser, and platform type (e.g., Internet Explorer browser on a Windows platform). Gathering this data helps us to learn what browsers we need to support. Other anonymous information helps us determine what sections of SHRM Websites are most popular and how many visitors come to our site(s). You do not have to register with SHRM Websites before we can collect this anonymous information.
Personally identifiable information refers to data that tells us specifically who you are (e.g., your name, home and/or work email address, postal address, phone number and/or fax number, and your employer and job title, and if you are making a purchase, your credit card information). You are only required to provide such information if you want to take advantage of optional products and services provided through our website(s). We may also collect demographic information about you (e.g., birth year, certification designation, etc.).
SHRM collects personal information in the following ways from different parts of its website(s):
3. What organization collects the information and who has access to it? Data collected through SHRM's website(s) is generally collected and maintained solely by SHRM or its contracted vendors. More specifically:
a.) Personally identifiable information.
b.) Anonymous information.
We disclose to third-party sponsors/advertisers aggregate statistics (i.e., impressions and click-throughs on a company's advertisement). Also, we may share aggregate website statistics with the media or other third parties. No personally identifiable information is disclosed to these sponsors/advertisers or other third parties as part of this process, only information in an aggregate form.
SHRM websites use several tools and tracking services to collect information about use of the site, such as the following.
These tools and services collect information such as how often users visit this site, what pages or screens they visit on SHRM websites, mouse clicks, mouse movements, scrolling activity as well as any text you type in the website. We use the information we collect to improve the site, offer better services, and to provide you a more personalized experience, including personalized ads on SHRM websites and other websites. We do not use these tools to collect any personal information nor do we combine the collected information with personally identifiable information. The information may be collected by planting a permanent cookie on your web browser to identify you as a unique user whenever you visit the site. These cookies can only be used by the tools planting them and cannot be shared across tools and the data collected cannot be altered or retrieved by services from other domains.
You can choose to opt out of these tools and tracking services by going to the URL -
http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/. You can also disable cookies on your browser to prevent these tools from recognizing you on return visits to the site. (http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml). Or you can choose to disable the Clicktale service at
4. How does SHRM use the information it collects? a.) General
SHRM collects information to provide you with the services you request and to improve our website(s). We retain this information for as long as we anticipate that we still have a reasonable need for the information.
If you join SHRM or renew your SHRM membership through our website(s), we use the personally identifiable information and demographic information you provide in the membership application to send you SHRM publications, information about member benefits and special offers, and other information that SHRM believes is relevant and useful to its members. Similarly, if you register for products or services through our website(s), we may use the personally identifiable information and demographic information you provide us in doing so to send you information that SHRM believes is relevant and useful to you. See Section 3 above as to SHRM policy on list sales.
As mentioned above, SHRM uses the aggregate, anonymous data collected to let our sponsors/advertisers know the number of impressions or views and the number of "click throughs" on their advertisement(s). SHRM also uses this aggregate, anonymous data to perform statistical analyses of the collective characteristics and behavior of our site visitors; to measure user interests regarding specific areas of SHRM Websites; and to analyze how and where best to use our resources. Without such data, we would not know which parts of SHRM Websites are the most popular, and we would not be able to change and update the content and services appropriately.
SHRM may be required by law enforcement or judicial authorities to provide information on individual users to the appropriate governmental authorities. In matters involving a danger to personal or public safety, SHRM may voluntarily provide information to appropriate governmental authorities.
b.) Information Collected in Connection With Certification and Recertification
If you register for certification or recertification services, SHRM uses any personally identifiable information and demographic information you may provide doing so in the same manner as we do when you register for other SHRM products and services.
5. How can you review and modify your personal information or demographic information? You have the following options for modifying or causing to be deleted personal information or demographic information previously provided by you to SHRM.
Or if you are a SHRM member you may also visit: Member Dashboard
b.) Send mail to the following postal address: SHRM, 1800 Duke Street, Alexandria, Virginia, 22314, ATTN: Member Care Department.
c.) Call: 703-548-3440 or +1-800-283-7476.
6. What is the opt-out policy for SHRM Websites? SHRM provides members and customers the opportunity to opt-out of receiving communications from us and our partners. If you no longer wish to receive specific communications or services, you have the following options:
a.) You can send an e-mail to:
b.) You can send mail to the following postal address: SHRM, 1800 Duke Street, Alexandria, Virginia, 22314, ATTN: Member Care Department.
c.) You can call the following telephone numbers: +1-800-283-7476 or 703-548-3440.
Instructions for opting out of any SHRM e-mail newsletter you receive are included with each e-mail.
7. Your California Privacy Rights. For California Residents Only. SHRM may disclose your personal information to our subsidiaries or other third parties who may use that information to market directly to you. As a California resident, you have the right to opt-out of having your personal information licensed to such third parties. We will not share your information after we have received your notification that you are opting out. If you wish to opt-out you have the following options:
8. What kinds of security procedures are in place to protect against the loss, misuse or alteration of your information? SHRM Websites have security measures equal to or better than those reasonably expected in the industry, such as firewalls, in place to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of your user data under our control. While we cannot guarantee that loss, misuse or alteration to data will not occur, we take reasonable precautions to prevent such unfortunate occurrences. Certain particularly sensitive information, such as your credit card number, collected for a commercial transaction is encrypted prior to transmission.
You are ultimately responsible for the security of your SHRM login credentials. You may not share your SHRM login credentials with colleagues or friends so they can access content or features that are restricted to SHRM members only. You should log out of your browser at the end of each computer session to ensure that others cannot access your personal information and correspondence, especially if you share a computer with someone else or are using a computer in a public place like a library or Internet cafe.
9. How do SHRM Websites use bulletin boards, discussion lists, and moderated chats? SHRM websites makes bulletin boards, discussion lists, and moderated chats available to its members. Any information that is disclosed in these areas becomes public information, and you should exercise caution when deciding to disclose your personal information. Although users may post messages that will appear on the message boards anonymously, SHRM does retain a record of who posts all notes.
PART II – SHRM PRIVACY STATEMENT FOR INFORMATION COLLECTED OTHER THAN THROUGH SHRM WEBSITES
If you submit personal information or demographic information to SHRM through any channel other than SHRM Websites, the same privacy rules set forth at Part I above for SHRM Websites will be applied to such personal information and demographic information you submit through channels other than SHRM Websites (including without limitation your opt-out rights at Part I, Section 6 above), except as follows:
1. The “cookies” and other tracking devices used by SHRM Websites and described in Part I above do not apply to personal information and demographic information gathered through channels other than SHRM Websites.
2. Hardcopy personal information and demographic information provided to SHRM which is not converted to electronic media and hosted by SHRM will be subject to different security procedures than will stored electronic personal information and demographic information; but SHRM does have security measures equal to or better than those reasonably expected in the industry, in place to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of your hardcopy personal information and demographic information under our control.
You have successfully saved this page as a bookmark.
Please confirm that you want to proceed with deleting bookmark.
You have successfully removed bookmark.
Please log in as a SHRM member before saving bookmarks.
Your session has expired. Please log in again before saving bookmarks.
Please purchase a SHRM membership before saving bookmarks.
An error has occurred
Recommended for you
Choose from dozens of free webcasts on the most timely HR topics.
SHRM’s HR Vendor Directory contains over 3,200 companies