Updated December 21, 2023
Welcome to the Society for Human Resource Management ("SHRM"). SHRM is the leading membership association for the human resource profession.
2. What is Personal Information?
This Policy applies to Personal Information collected or used by SHRM in connection with its Services. "Personal Information" generally means any information that enables us to identify you, directly or indirectly, by reference to an identifier such as your name, identification number, location data, online identifier or one or more factors specific to you. Personal Information can include "Sensitive Personal Information" (particularly sensitive types of Personal Information) and "Pseudonymised Personal Information" (information that does not identify you directly but can be linked to other information that doe). Personal Information does not include anonymous information or information that has had the identity of an individual permanently removed. Note that privacy laws apply different definitions to "Personal Information" in various jurisdictions and contexts, and we may therefore need to apply a particular definition in specific circumstances.
3. How We Collect Personal Information
As described further below, we may receive Personal information through many aspects of our online and offline Services, and we may collect such information about you by various means, including:
- Directly from you, both online (e.g., our websites, email) and offline (e.g., phone);
- From your employer, such as through SHRM Employer Programs;
- From other third-party sources and social media platforms that you may use to engage with us;
- From event coordinators, sponsors or other third parties we work with; and
- By combining information from different sources, including online and offline data.
4. What Information Do We Collect?
SHRM may collect the following types of Personal Information:
a. Information Provided to SHRM
You (or in the case of SHRM Employer Programs, your employer) may provide Personal Information to us which may include your name, home and/or work email address, postal address, phone number and/or fax number, your employer and job title, demographic information about you including birth year, certification designation, etc., and if you are making a purchase, your payment information (e.g., credit card).
SHRM can receive such information in various ways through our Services, including:
- Membership: You share Personal Information with us when you join or renew SHRM membership or a SHRM Chapter through the Services. SHRM members can use log-in credentials to access certain restricted content and features offered by the Services.
- Other Registration: When registering for specific other services, such as subscribing to an e-mail newsletter.
- Online Purchases: When making a purchase in the SHRMStore or subscribing to a SHRM publication.
- Employment Applications: SHRM collected relevant Personal Information from job applicants, including a Resume or CV, and any other information required to verify qualifications and assess suitability for an available position.
- SHRM Employer Programs: When you participate in certain SHRM programs purchased by your employer, including the THRIVE360 program, used for assessment, training and other workplace growth opportunities, we may collect your Personal Information from you or your employer in order for you to participate in the program.
- Surveys: SHRM may receive information about you in response to forms we posted on our Services or sent to you, including for feedback and research purposes.
- Events: SHRM may receive information about you when you participate in any events we host, organize or sponsor, both online (e.g., webinar) or offline (e.g., conferences).
- Interactions: We receive information through communications between you and us, such as via email, web form, mail, phone, or other channels.
b. Information About Others
If you provide us with information regarding another individual (such as a colleague or co-worker), you represent that you have their consent to give us their information and to permit us to use the information in accordance with this Policy.
c. Information SHRM Receives Through Automated Means
When you use online SHRM Services, we receive certain technical information about your use of the Services, and that may be associated with your Personal Information in some instances. This “Online User Activity” is described further in the next section.
5. Online User Activity and Cookies
a. Site Use Information
SHRM collects technical information when an individual visits any online SHRM Services, including IP address, browser type and version, time zone settings, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform type (e.g., Chrome or Edge on a Windows platform).
We may also collect information about the visit, including pages and content viewed or searched for, page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information, and methods used to browse to or away from the page. SHRM may also receive location information where you choose to provide the Services with access to information about your location.
This technical information can be necessary to provide the Services, and it also helps us determine which portions of Services are most popular and which part of the website people have visited. We can also use such information to deliver customized content and advertising to users of the Services whose behavior indicates that they are interested in a particular subject area, and measure the effectiveness of advertisements and web searches. We can collect this information irrespective of whether someone has a registered account with SHRM, although some associations may only occur for registered accounts (e.g., members).
b. What Are "Cookies" and How Does SHRM Use Them?
In order to collect certain Online User Activity, our Services use “cookies”, pixels, SDKs and other commonly-used web technologies. A cookie is a small text file containing a unique identification number that is transferred from a website to your computer. This unique number identifies your web browser whenever you visit the Services.
Cookies let us remember your browser so we can provide personalized member services such as My SHRM and SHRM search agents. Cookies also allow us to identify SHRM members who are returning to the Services.
We may provide certain Personal Information to third parties we engage with for targeted advertising, user analytics, and to provide a more personalized experience and special offers to You. Specifically, identifying information and Online User Activity may be shared through targeting cookies or other means. Please visit Your Privacy Choices page for more information about such sharing and to opt-out of such activities. You can opt back in to targeting cookies there as well. Our Services also endeavor to process Global Privacy Control (“GPC”) signals from web browsers by automatically opting-out website visitors from third party targeting cookies on the visited website, although GPC technology is not fully developed and it is not yet supported by all browsers.
6. How We Use Personal Information We Collect
a. General Use of Information
We use Personal Information to operate, evaluate, and improve our Services, including for the following purposes:
- Performance of our obligations arising from your membership, Exchange Visitor sponsorship, and any other agreement entered into between you and us, or in the case of SHRM Employer Programs, between your employer and us;
- To update, renew and manage memberships, certifications and credentials as required;
- To provide you with information, products and services you request from us;
- To arrange and deliver conferences, events and programming relevant to your job and subjects of interest;
- To respond to your questions and provide related membership or customer services;
- To tailor the content that we display to you in our Services and communications, including member benefits, special offers, advertising and other opportunities and information that we believe may be of interest to you;
- For our business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, developing new products and features, enhancing our website, improving our products and services, identifying usage trends, and determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns;
- To notify you about changes to your membership or related services or to ask you to provide feedback;
- To enable you to partake in a prize draw, competition or complete a survey;
- To administer and protect our business and websites (including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, system maintenance, support, reporting and hosting of data);
- For those who apply for employment with SHRM, to process your employment application, including background checks and education and employment verification, as applicable;
- To comply with all applicable laws, legal processes and industry standards, our policies and our contractual rights; and
- For any other purpose specified at the point of collection or as described in your express authorization.
We may use and disclose non-personal, non-individual statistics or demographic information in aggregate form without restriction.
b. Enhanced Privacy
7. HOW YOU MAY SHARE INFORMATION WITH THIRD PARTIES
The SHRM Services may also include forums, bulletin boards, discussion lists, and/or moderated chats available to SHRM members. Any information disclosed in these areas becomes public information with no expectation of confidentiality, and you should exercise appropriate caution when deciding to disclose your Personal Information or post any other information in these area. Although users may at times post messages that will appear anonymously on the message boards, SHRM does retain records identifying each individual who posted content in these areas.
8. HOW WE MAY SHARE INFORMATION WITH THIRD PARTIES
SHRM will not disclose your Personal Information to third parties without your consent except as described below:
a. Third Party Disclosures
When you provide Personal Information through the Services for a particular service, product or promotion, such as when registering for a SHRM-organized event, SHRM may sell or share certain limited information (e.g., title, contact information) derived from such registrations with third parties (e.g., event sponsors), who may contact you directly regarding their products and services;
We may disclose information about you: (i) if we are required to do so by law or legal process; (ii) when we believe disclosure is necessary to prevent harm or financial loss; (iii) in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual fraudulent or illegal activity; or (iv) under exigent circumstances to protect the personal safety of our staff, other SHRM members, or the public; and
We reserve the right to transfer the information that we maintain in the event of a contemplated or actual sale or transfer of all or a relevant portion of our business or assets. If such an event occurs, we will make reasonable efforts to direct the recipient to use your Personal Information in a manner that is consistent with this Policy.
b. Service Providers
c. SHRM Research
If you participate in SHRM research activities or apply to participate in the SHRM Research Panel, SHRM may disclose such Personal Information as necessary to process your application (if applicable), to allow you to participate in the research or the SHRM Research Panel, or as otherwise instructed by you. In some cases, SHRM may publish demographic information gathered in the course of the research, but only in an aggregated and anonymized form for the purpose of reporting on the demographics of the participant group as a whole or where relevant to the research results.
d. Employer-Sponsored Programs
In some instances SHRM Members or other individuals may receive products or services paid for by a government employer, in which case a record of any such transaction may be available for public access pursuant to applicable law (such as the Florida Public Records Act), and SHRM will share such information pursuant to those laws.
e. Veteran Programs
In some instances SHRM Members or other individuals who are veterans may receive products or services paid for by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), in which case a record of any such transaction may be made available to the VA pursuant to VA regulation, and SHRM will share such information pursuant to such regulations.
f. SHRM Exchange Visitor Program
If you are a participant in SHRM's Exchange Visitor Program, you must provide Personal Information about yourself and any dependent family members on the sponsorship application. SHRM is required by law to provide your Personal Information to the U.S. Department of State and Department of Homeland Security (SHRM does not disclose Personal Information related to the Exchange Visitor Program except as necessary to process the application, operate the program, and provide the sponsorship to you and your Host Organization).
g. SHRM Foundation
If you make a donation to the SHRM Foundation or apply for a SHRM Foundation award, we may publicly recognize you as a donor (unless you choose to remain anonymous) or award winner.
h. SHRM Job Applicants
Information provided in an application for employment with SHRM may be disclosed as reasonably necessary to verify past education and employment qualifications, perform background checks and as otherwise required by law or SHRM policy.
i. Sensitive Personal Information
SHRM does not disclose sensitive Personal Information such as passcodes, social security numbers, credit card numbers, felony conviction information, or health information except as necessary to complete transactions requested by you, to process employment applications, or to comply with legal obligations, all under availability confidentiality and security protections.
j. Disclosures For SHRM Certification and Recertification
If you register for certification or recertification services, or for any other SHRM credential or certificate (e.g., SHRM California Law HR Specialty Credential), then in addition to the general uses of information described above, SHRM (and/or its relevant vendors) may use and disclose Personal Information, certification exam performance information, and/or assessment information for specific purposes relevant to the SHRM credential or certificate, including:
- Listing all individuals who have achieved a SHRM certification in the public SHRM Online Certified Directory (subject to your privacy preferences);
- Sending notifications/reminders on the status of certification or other credential or certificate, information on professional development and recertification opportunities, and other news and communications of interest to the certified community or those holding any other SHRM credential or certificate;
- The scheduling and administration of exams;
- The preparation, review, updating, validation, accreditation and/or administration of the exams and exam preparation materials; and
- Publishing information regarding a candidate/certificant/credential-holder/certificate-holder against whom disciplinary action has been taken and the reason for that action.
However, SHRM will as a general matter not share a candidate's/certificant's/credential-holder/certificate-holder's Personal Information, certification exam performance information, or assessment information related to any other SHRM credential or certificate as follows:
- SHRM will not share the names of candidates who do not pass the exam with the general public;
- SHRM will not share information about an examinee's performance on individual exam items with any third party person or entity; and
- SHRM will not disclose Personal Information related to requests for reasonable accommodation under the ADA, or under similar Non-US requirements, other than as reasonably necessary to review and/or provide that accommodation.
SHRM may disclose information as reasonably necessary for: the administration of exams and exam programs (e.g., to communicate ADA accommodations to exam testing centers); to comply with laws, regulations, court orders or other legal process; and in connection with the preparation, review, updating, validation, accreditation and/or administration of the exam or exam preparation materials.
k. SHRM Subsidiaries
9. Your Privacy Rights and Choices
a. General Rights
We offer you certain choices about what information we collect from you, how we use and disclose the information, and how we communicate with you.
- Accessing and Correcting your Personal Information. If you are a SHRM member or otherwise have an account with us, you can generally access or correct your information by logging in to your account. If you are unable to do so you, can make a request by contacting SHRM as directed below. Note that for SHRM Employer Programs, please contact your employer.
- Opting-Out of Marketing Emails: From time to time, we may contact you via email or through other channels for the purpose of providing announcements, promotional information and/or other general communication. In order to improve our Services, we may be notified when you open an email from us or click on a link therein. You may choose not to receive marketing emails from us by clicking on the unsubscribe link in the marketing emails you receive from us. Even if you opt out of receiving such communications, we may continue sending you non-marketing email communications, such as administrative or transaction alerts, or information about changes to our terms of service.
- Cookies: As noted above, our Services allows users to opt-out of certain third party cookies. In addition, web browsers may offer users the ability to disable receiving certain types of cookies; however, if cookies are disabled, some features or functionality of our Services may not function correctly.
- Targeted Advertising: As noted above, we may work with advertising partners who collect information about your online activities and provide you with choices regarding the use of your browsing behavior for purposes of targeted advertising. Popular advertising services you may opt out of include Google, the Network Advertising Initiative and Digital Advertising Alliance.
b. Notice for Residents of Certain States in the US
In addition to the privacy rights described above, if you are a resident of California, Virginia, Colorado or Connecticut (or Utah as of Dec. 31, 2023), you may have a right to subject certain specific requests regarding your Personal Information, as provided below. Please note that SHRM IS A NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION, although some of its affiliates are not. As a result, certain privacy laws may be inapplicable to SHRM in whole or in part.
- You may request a copy of the following: (1) the categories of Personal Information we collected about you; (2) the categories of sources from which the Personal Information is collected; (3) the business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling (if applicable) the Personal Information; (4) the categories of third parties with whom we shared Personal Information, and the categories of Personal Information shared; and (5) the specific pieces of your Personal Information that we have collected, used, disclosed, or sold.
- You may request that we (and our service providers) correct your Personal Information if it is inaccurate or delete your Personal Information. Note that deletion requests are subject to certain limitations, for example, we may retain Personal Information as permitted by law, such as for tax or other record keeping purposes, to maintain an active account, to process transactions and facilitate user requests, and for certain other internal business purposes described in this Policy.
If you have a registered account with us, you may access and change certain Personal Information (such as profile and transaction information) directly through your account after logging in to our Services, and you can opt out of email marketing as provided above. Otherwise, please contact us as provided below to exercise any of these requests. You may authorize another person (your “agent”) to submit a request on your behalf the same way. Shortly after you (or your agent) submit a request, we will check our records for matching information and contact you (via email at the email address provided during submission of your request) with instructions on how to verify the request before we fulfill it. We will aim to complete your requests as soon as reasonably practicable and consistent with any applicable laws.
You also have the right at any time to opt out of (i) selling or sharing of your Personal Information to third parties, and (ii) targeted advertising through third parties. Please visit “Your Privacy Choices ” to opt-out of third party targeting cookies. As noted above, we also endeavor to process GPC signals from web browsers by automatically opting-out such visitors from third party targeting cookies.
Privacy laws may provide you with other opt-out rights which are inapplicable to us. In particular, we do not engage in impactful profiling activities with respect to users, and we do not collect, use or disclose sensitive Personal Information (such as government identification number, precise geolocation, financial account credentials, etc.) except for the specific purpose(s) that you provide it.
We may not, and will not, discriminate against any individual for exercising their privacy rights, including those provided by the applicable privacy laws. Please note that we may otherwise continue to share your Personal Information with our affiliates and service providers, and as otherwise directed by you, for the purposes described in this Policy.
If we deny a privacy request, you may appeal the decision to us at the contact information provided below. To the extent possible, please describe the basis for your appeal and if there is any specific Personal Information that concern you.
c. Additional Notice for California Residents
This Section is provided specifically for California residents.
- Categories of information. In at least the past 12 months, SHRM collected the categories of Personal Information described above in this Policy, including: identifiers (such as name, email address, IP address); commercial information (such as transactions); internet activity (such as pages visited, product searches); geolocation data (where browsers share such information); and sensitive Personal Information (such as account credentials).
- Financial Incentives. SHRM may offer discounts or other benefits to individuals enrolled in certain subscriptions or programs: Individuals can opt-in to such programs where offered—please refer to such offers for details about each programs’ benefits, terms and conditions, and please note that they are subject to change from time to time. Individuals can always opt-out of these programs. SHRM does not generally assign monetary value to individuals’ Personal Information, and promotions activity associated with any subscription or program change continually. To the extent California law requires that a value be assigned to such programs, or to the price or service differences they involve, SHRM values the information collected and used under each program as being equal to the value of the discounts or other financial incentives provided in each such program, based upon a practical and good-faith effort to assess, on an aggregate basis for all collected information: (i) the type of information collected in each program (e.g., email address), (ii) the use of such information by us in connection with its marketing activities, (iii) the range of discounts provided (which can depend on each individual’s use of such offers), (iv) the number of total individuals enrolled in the programs, and (v) the products for which the benefits (such as a discount) can apply. These variable factors continue to change over time. This description is without waiver of any proprietary or business confidential information, including trade secrets, and it does not constitute any representation with regard to generally accepted accounting principles or financial accounting standards.
- Privacy rights requests for non-customers. California privacy rights apply to all individuals (not just SHRM members), including job applicants, current and former employees, contractors and business partners. Job applicants may provide contact information and resume-related information (e.g., past education and experience) as well as complete relevant background checks. Employees receive internal privacy disclosure relevant to them. Contractors and business partners provide business contact information and payment-related information as necessary to facilitate a prospective or actual business relation. Due to the nature of these relationships, the precise collection and use of Personal Information can vary. All such individuals who are California residents can request additional information about our privacy practices with respect to their information, as well as make the access, deletion, correction and opt-out requests described above, by contacting SHRM as directed below. Please provide sufficient information that we can identify you, and be aware that we may employ a more extensive authentication process to verify your identity before responding to your request.
- Do Not Track. Do Not Track (DNT) is a privacy preference you can set in most browsers but there is no standard interpretation or practice for responding to DNT signals (see https://allaboutdnt.com/ for more information), and SHRM therefore handles all user information consistent with this Policy. SHRM does endeavor to support browser GPC signals as discussed above.
Direct Marketing. We do not share Personal Information such as your contact information with third parties for their own direct marketing purposes.
d. Notice for Nevada Residents
We do not sell Personal Information as defined by Nevada law (Nevada Revised Statutes, Chapter 603A, Section 1.6). You can submit a request to us regarding the sale of such information via the contact information below.
e. Notice for Individuals Outside the United States
The SHRM Services are provided from the United States and other countries around the world where SHRM operates, and are not generally intended to subject SHRM to the laws or jurisdiction of any other country. Any Personal Information that you directly or indirectly provide to SHRM through use of the Services may be stored and processed, transferred between, and accessed from, the United States and other countries which may not guarantee the same level of protection of Personal Information as the one in which you reside. However, to the extent we are subject to the privacy laws of such jurisdictions, SHRM will endeavor to process Personal Information in accordance with such their privacy laws, as applicable.
This section is therefore intended specifically for individuals residing outside of the United States (“US”). This includes residents of the European Economic Area (“EEA”) and European Union (“EU”), the United Kingdom (“UK”), Switzerland, United Arab Emirates (“UAE”), India and other relevant jurisdictions with respect to privacy and data protection laws (collectively, “International Jurisdictions”) to the extent they are applicable to SHRM.
- Legitimate Bases for Processing: Where required by law, all processing of Personal Information is justified by a legally-recognized basis for processing. In the majority of cases, processing will be justified on one or more of the following bases for processing: (i) The processing is necessary to perform a contract with you (such as if you are a SHRM member, participate in the Visitor Exchange Program, join one of our training programs, or subscribe to our email marketing); (ii) The processing is necessary for us to comply with a relevant legal obligation, such as keeping accounting records; (iii) The processing is in our legitimate interests, which are not overridden by your interests and fundamental rights. Our legitimate interests are to use user data and other information we collect to reasonably and responsibly operate and develop our business activities without abusing any privacy interests or rights of such individuals; and (iv) In some instances, we rely on your consent to our processing (at times as a secondary basis for processing in an abundance of caution).
- Transfer of Personal Information: If you reside in one of the International Jurisdictions that imposes legal restrictions on the transfer of Personal Information from that jurisdiction to another country (e.g., the US), to the extent that we engage in such a transfer of your Personal Information (a “Cross-Border Transfer”) we will take steps to ensure that such Cross-Border Transfer satisfies known legal requirements. In particular, if we transfer Personal Information across jurisdictions we will rely on available adequacy decisions, derogations and/or data transfer agreements with standard contractual clauses approved by relevant regulatory authorities to facilitate any transfers with applicable business partners, affiliates and service providers.
- Exercising You Privacy Rights: Residents of certain International Jurisdictions are entitled to exercise certain rights under privacy laws applicable to their Personal Information. This includes the right to (a) request access to your Personal Information; (b) request that we correct inaccurate Personal Information we hold about you; (c) request that we delete any Personal Information we hold about you; (d) restrict or object (i.e., withdraw consent) to the processing of Personal Information we hold about you in some circumstances; and/or (e) receive any Personal Information we hold about you in a structured and commonly used format. You also have the right to lodge a complaint with your supervisory authority if the processing of your Personal Information infringes applicable law. Please contact us as provided below if you wish to exercise any of your rights, or if you have any inquiries or complaints regarding the processing of your Personal Information.
10. Online Advertising
You may see SHRM promoted by other organizations, on various websites, web pages, social media and other platforms. Please note that we do not always have complete information about where our organization may be displayed or promoted, and if you believe that we are featured in venues that are inappropriate or offensive, please contact us as directed below.
11. Links to Other Websites and Third Party Content
Our Services may contain links to other websites or apps, including social media integrations. Please be aware that we are not responsible for the content or privacy practices of such other websites or apps, and we encourage you to be aware when you leave our Services and to read the privacy statements of any other website or app that collects Personal Information.
12. Security and Retention of Personal Information
We maintain reasonable security safeguards designed to protect information about our website visitors in our possession and control, and to protect such information from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. However, we cannot ensure the security of any information that you transmit to us, or guarantee that this information will not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed. We will make any legally required disclosures in the event of any compromise of Personal Information. To the extent the law allows us to provide such notification via email or conspicuous posting on the Services, you agree to accept notice in that form.
You are ultimately responsible for the security of your SHRM login credentials. You may not share your SHRM login credentials with colleagues or friends so they can access content or features that are restricted to SHRM members only. You should log out of your browser at the end of each computer session to ensure that others cannot access your Personal Information and correspondence, especially if you share a computer with someone else or are using a computer in a public place like a library or Internet cafe.
We apply a general rule of keeping Personal Information only for as long as required to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected including (i) to provide you with our Services, such as to maintain account profiles while active and after termination for the purposes described above, and (ii) as reasonably as necessary for legal, tax and accounting requirements, or if required to do so by a legal process, legal authority, or other governmental entity having authority to make the request, for so long as required.
13. Information Related to Minors
Our website and other online Services are not intended for minors under 13, and we do not knowingly collect Personal Information online from minors under 13. We will endeavor to promptly delete any information identified as having been provided by such persons as required by applicable law.
If at any point we decide to use Personal Information in a manner that is materially different from the terms provided to you at the time of collection, we will endeavor to notify you of such changes.
15. Contacting SHRM
You can contact us via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org, by mail to: SHRM, 1800 Duke Street, Alexandria, Virginia 22314, ATTN: Customer Care Department; or by phone at 800-283-7476 or 703-548-3440.
b. SHRM Foundation
You can contact us via e-mail to: email@example.com; by mail to: SHRM Foundation, 1800 Duke Street, Alexandria, Virginia 22314; or by phone at 703-535-6020.
c. SHRM India
You can contact us via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org; or by phone at 1-800-103-2198.
d. SHRM MEA
You can contact us via e-mail to E-mail: SHRM.MEA@shrm.org; by mail to: SHRM MEA, G-21, Block 2B, Dubai Knowledge Park, Dubai, United Arab Emirates; or by phone at 971 50 104 6330 or 971 4 364 9464.