Not a Member? Get access to HR news and resources that you can trust.
Here is how HR can help prevent the missteps that could cost your company big in court.
Is your employee handbook ready for the changing world of work? With SHRM’s Employee Handbook Builder get peace of mind that your handbook is up-to-date.
60+ new SHRM Seminar dates in 10 U.S. cities and virtually.
Expand your influence and learn how to become an effective leader -- Join us in Phoenix, AZ, October 2-4, 2017.
A downloadable communications campaign for educating employees about the importance of saving for retirement now is available, at no cost, from the Plan Sponsor Council of America (PSCA), a not-for-profit that helps employers better manage their retirement plans.
While in past years PSCA has sponsored a "401(k) Day" during the first week of September, the organization has declared that going forward "every day is now 401(k) Day." Moreover, "As every day is now a 401(k) Day, you are free to start today or next month."
To launch an education campaign at any time, plan sponsors can download the new 2012 program.
In addition, three previously released series of printable posters, fliers and postcards are easily accessible:
• View all downloadable communications pieces for the "Winding Road to Retirement" theme.• View all downloadable communications pieces for the "Map the Course" theme.• View all downloadable communications pieces for the "Maintain Your 401k" theme.
• View all downloadable communications pieces for the "Winding Road to Retirement" theme.
• View all downloadable communications pieces for the "Map the Course" theme.
• View all downloadable communications pieces for the "Maintain Your 401k" theme.
To spur 401(k) plan participation with adequate contribution rates, the materials inform employees of pertinent facts, such as:
• For a secure retirement, seek to build a nest egg sufficient to replace 70 percent to 90 percent of their pre-retirement income.• Don't expect to rely on Social Security; 90 percent of retirees receive an average monthly Social Security benefit of only about $1,160.
• For a secure retirement, seek to build a nest egg sufficient to replace 70 percent to 90 percent of their pre-retirement income.
• Don't expect to rely on Social Security; 90 percent of retirees receive an average monthly Social Security benefit of only about $1,160.
The communications materials can be customized with an employer's logo, additional action steps and plan contact information.
"You can use the entire campaign or select the pieces that best fit your education and communication needs," the organization's 401(k) Day website states. "However you choose to do it, PSCA encourages you to host your own 401(k) Day and to make every day 401(k) Day."
Retirement Savings? There’s an “App” for That
While thousands of smartphone applications have been developed to help people spend money, a new one has been developed to help Americans save: The Ballpark E$timate, now available online and as an iPhone App.
Developed by the nonprofit Employee Benefit Research Institute'sChoose to Savefinancial education program, Ballpark E$timate shows how complicated issues such as projected Social Security benefits and earnings assumptions can impact retirement savings, as demonstrated through an interactive tool that's easy to understand.
Choose to Save also has released a series of online public service announcements to educate employees on the long-term value of retirement plan savings.
You have successfully saved this page as a bookmark.
Please confirm that you want to proceed with deleting bookmark.
You have successfully removed bookmark.
Please log in as a SHRM member before saving bookmarks.
Your session has expired. Please log in again before saving bookmarks.
Please purchase a SHRM membership before saving bookmarks.
An error has occurred
Recommended for you
Join SHRM's exclusive peer-to-peer social network
SHRM’s HR Vendor Directory contains over 3,200 companies