Finally get that promotion? Get exclusive content, tips and tools to help you excel.
Implicit bias occurs when individuals make judgments about people based on gender, race or other prohibited factors without even realizing they’re doing it.
Is your employee handbook keeping up with the changing world of work? With SHRM's Employee Handbook Builder get peace of mind that your handbook is up-to-date.
Build competencies, establish credibility and advance your career—while earning PDCs—at SHRM Seminars in 12 cities across the U.S. this spring.
#SHRM18 will expand your perspective – on your organization, on your career, and on the way you approach HR. Join us in Chicago June 17-20, 2018
Members may download one copy of our sample forms and templates for your personal use within your organization. Please note that all such forms and policies should be reviewed by your legal counsel for compliance with applicable law, and should be modified to suit your organization’s culture, industry, and practices. Neither members nor non-members may reproduce such samples in any other way (e.g., to republish in a book or use for a commercial purpose) without SHRM’s permission. To request permission for specific items, click on the “reuse permissions” button on the page where you find the item.
This article is not about engagement. It’s about bigger questions: How do I get my employees engaged, satisfied, committed and healthy? While many factors drive these outcomes, a handful have the most impact. One is called meaningful work. Each job and workplace has hundreds of characteristics, but individuals find some characteristics more meaningful than others.
In my own research and that of others, factors like fulfilling one’s purpose, realizing personal values and achieving life goals through work stand out, as do realizing one’s full potential and having a social impact. Each of these factors links to job and work characteristics that enable them.
Return on Investment
Surveying more than 1,000 U.S. employees on 80 job- and workplace-related questions in 2010, I found that meaningful work was the strongest driver of commitment, stay intentions and discretionary effort. It beat out leadership, supervisors, co-workers, pay and other factors that contribute to engagement.
Employees with jobs that helped them:
Overall, meaningful job and work factors had the second highest correlation with a composite of high satisfaction, commitment and stay intentions, and low burnout. Intrinsic job rewards such as autonomy, recognition and involvement had the highest correlation.
Put Meaning into Work
Simply talking about meaning can help uncover what employees currently do in their jobs that is tied to personal value, purpose and life goals. Encourage more focus on aspects of work that relate to these meaningful characteristics. If there is a large gap between work and meaning, the following tools can help deepen the connection:
Make assessments. First, find out who your employees are with personality, values and interests inventories. Then use employee surveys to find out how they perceive their work. You’ll learn what motivates each employee and how much or how little of what motivates them is present in their jobs. Many people find similar factors meaningful, but small differences exist.
Tweak the jobs. Based on these assessments, make small tweaks that make a huge difference for employees. For example, ask employees how they think they can have a bigger impact on clients and society. Then engage with direct reports in “job crafting” to create more “intrapreneurial” roles.
Ask employees “If you woke up tomorrow morning with $20 million in the bank and five years to live, what things would you do for the rest of your life?” With your employees, identify themes in their answers and then modify their work to include some of the themes.
Get personal. Studies show that less than 8 percent of people’s life longings are work-related. Find out what makes up the other 92 percent for your employees. Remember that not all employee development is career-related. Consider what employees are trying to accomplish in their personal lives and find ways to support those efforts at work.
The author, an organizational psychologist, is chief executive officer of Paul Fairlie Consulting in Toronto, www.paulfairlieconsulting.com.
You have successfully saved this page as a bookmark.
Please confirm that you want to proceed with deleting bookmark.
You have successfully removed bookmark.
Please log in as a SHRM member before saving bookmarks.
Please sign in as a SHRM member before saving bookmarks.
Please purchase a SHRM membership before saving bookmarks.
An error has occurred
Recommended for you
HR Education in a City Near You
SHRM’s HR Vendor Directory contains over 10,000 companies