A chapter newsletter, in either print or electronic format, can be a simple but important means of communication with your members. Ideally your newsletter should be published on a regular schedule (e.g., monthly, bi-monthly) so that your members will get in the habit of referring to it regularly for important chapter information. Distribute it not only to chapter members but also to potential members, sponsoring chapter members, faculty and staff who may want to know more about the chapter. Listed below are some suggestions for a successful newsletter.
- Appoint an officer to oversee the production of the newsletter.
- Establish a timeline for article submission.
- Continually ask "What do our members need to know?" and "What are they interested in reading about?" Let the answers be your guide to newsletter content.
- Have members cover special chapter events.
- Encourage members to write articles and announcements.
- Develop a plan for production and distribution.
- Maintain current mailing and/or e-mail addresses.
Your newsletter can be a weekly e-mail, a one-page weekly bulletin on white paper distributed at your chapter meetings, or an elaborate, formatted newsletter printed in color and mailed directely to all of your members. It will depend on your chapter's resources. The goal of the newsletter is to communicate chapter information and to educate your members.
Return to the Table of Contents